Dental Crowns Can Enhance Your Smile and Oral Health
If you have cracked, worn, or otherwise weakened teeth, you may be a good candidate for dental crowns at our Memphis practice. These custom-crafted restorations fit on top of damaged teeth to restore their appearance and functionality. Dr. Timothy Hacker also provides highly lifelike implant-supported crowns made of the latest and most durable materials. He works with an outstanding dental lab to ensure that your restorations are a near-perfect match to your surrounding teeth. Contact our office today to learn more about how crowns can restore your smile.
A Closer Look at Dental Crowns
Crowns are tooth-shaped restorations that fit directly on top of damaged teeth. They can be made from a variety of materials. Dr. Hacker prefers to use zirconia. This advanced type of porcelain offers the durability and strength of metal. It also has a unique chemical structure that gives it a lifelike translucence and sparkle.
In addition to traditional crowns, we also offer implant-supported crowns. These restorations are secured to titanium implant posts, surgically placed directly in your jawbone. Implant-supported crowns are extremely stable replacements for missing teeth.
To place a traditional crown, Dr. Hacker will reshape your damaged tooth to create a strong base for the restoration. Then he will take impressions of your teeth so that technicians can fabricate restorations that fit precisely over your natural teeth. We partner with an advanced dental lab that uses computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM) technology to produce highly lifelike, durable restorations. With Dr. Hacker’s assistance, the technicians will also select the shade of porcelain that most closely matches your natural teeth. When the crowns are finished, Dr. Hacker will attach them using dental cement.
If you select implant-supported crowns, the dentist will perform implant surgery to affix the implant post in your jawbone. Your gums and bone will heal around the post, so that it functions much like natural dental roots. Once you have fully healed, Dr. Hacker will attach the crowns. Like traditional restorations, they will be custom-fabricated to match the shape, size, and color of your surrounding teeth.
Dental crowns perform a variety of functions, including:
- Repairing structural damage: Crowns can strengthen weakened teeth, hold together cracked teeth, and enhance worn or chipped teeth. They can also be used for cavities that are too large for fillings.
- Making cosmetic enhancements: In some cases, Dr. Hacker may use crowns to conceal severe intrinsic stains that do not respond to teeth whitening. Crowns can also enhance small or misshapen teeth.
- Replacing missing teeth: Implant-supported crowns can fill in the gaps left by missing teeth.
- Enhancing your oral health: When you are missing teeth, or when you have structurally unsound teeth, it can affect the function and balance of your bite. If left untreated, you may eventually develop bruxism (chronic teeth grinding) or temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder.
- Improving your confidence: Oral health issues can take a toll on your confidence. By restoring your smile, Dr. Hacker hopes to give you a boost of self-assurance at the same time.
Schedule a Consultation
Find out how crowns can repair your smile and enhance your appearance. Contact us today to book your consultation with Dr. Hacker.
"We have plenty of time to listen to you and talk to you about your concerns and issues. Our patients are always treated with dignity and respect. You will always know how much a procedure will cost and how long it will take before we start. We will also do our best to help you understand what to expect. My website is a good source for information that will help guide you in making decisions concerning your treatment."Dr. Timothy J. Hacker